CIRI’s Giving Guidelines
CIRI provides funds for specific projects and for general operations for organizations that, in most cases, have been in existence for at least one year. Donations are made to organizations that receive tax exempt 501(c)(3) status from the Internal Revenue Service. In reviewing requests, CIRI gives priority to those that specifically benefit Southcentral Alaska. Organizations are encouraged to apply for support on an annual basis. Those who want CIRI to consider several activities are encouraged to contact us well in advance to discuss an annual plan of involvement.
What CIRI Funds
CIRI contributions are focused toward organizations we consider essential for maintaining economic health and quality of life in our communities. We support the following focus areas by building partnerships, promoting volunteerism, and providing resources.
- Youth and Education: CIRI supports non-profit organizations that promote and provide educational opportunities and activities for youth (grades K to 12) and gives priority to projects that serve low-income and disadvantaged youth.
- Homelessness, Hunger and Health: CIRI supports non-profit organizations striving to decrease the number of people that are homeless and hungry and provide preventive and primary health care in the areas of heart disease and cancer.
- Arts and Culture: CIRI supports non-profit organizations that promote or benefit the arts and culture of Alaska and prioritizes projects that serve low-income or disadvantaged groups.
We Do Not Fund
- Individual or team sponsorships
- Religious organizations or activities
- Organizations that discriminate based on race, creed, color, sex or national origin
To be eligible for a donation, an organization should address a specific community need. Please include the following information in a brief written request (1-3 pages):
- Brief description of the organization (name, history, mission, activities)
- Current list of the board of directors
- Organizations' target audience
- Amount of the request
- Why the funds are needed
- How funds will be raised from other sources
- How funds will be used
- Types of publicity and recognition for CIRI's support
Most contributions made by CIRI are for less than $5,000. For requests of more than $5,000, some or all of the following may be requested: a copy of the group's most recent financial statement, an annual budget, a list of corporations or foundations contributing to the group in the past year, and a copy of the tax-exempt ruling from the IRS.
Because we receive more requests than our budget allows, each request is carefully evaluated. CIRI budgets for donation requests based on the calendar year, but accepts and reviews proposals throughout the year. Requests are evaluated based on CIRI's budget, current objectives and the community need for the project. In most cases you may expect a response within two weeks and sometimes up to one month for larger requests.
If you think your organization or project qualifies and you would like to apply for a donation, send a written request to:
- CIRI Community Relations
- Rachel Batres
- PO Box 93330
- Anchorage, AK 99509-3330
- 2525 C St., Ste. 500
- (907) 274-8638 Phone
- (907) 263-5183 Fax