Adapted from a recipe featured on Julia’s Album, www.juliasalbum.com.
As the author wrote about this recipe, “If you like bacon, you’ll love this refreshing salad – it’s a great way to consume bacon in a healthier way. You can add lots of salad dressing (all of what’s indicated in the recipe below) or you can add just half – let your taste dictate whether you want the salad to be more or less creamy.”
START TO FINISH: 20 minutes
1 head broccoli, leaves trimmed
6-8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled, or 1/3 to 1/2 cup real bacon bits
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded or cut into very small chunks
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces. Wash and dry on paper towels.
- Place broccoli, bacon, onions, raisins, cranberries and cheddar in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, in a separate small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- For best taste, refrigerate salad two hours before serving.