Adapted from the recipe by Amanda Batcher, www.thechunkychef.com.
As the author wrote about this recipe, “These baked beans are semi-homemade and the perfect blend of sweet, savory and smoky. Topped with delicious bacon, they’re sure to be a hit!”
Start to finish: 2 hours 20 minutes (20 minutes active)
54- ounce can pork and beans or equivalent number of smaller cans (Bush’s Best preferred)
10 slices bacon
2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and set rack to the lower-middle rack position.
- Cook bacon about halfway through in a stovetop frying pan, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set bacon aside to drain on paper towels.
- In a deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of bacon grease or butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and green bell pepper to skillet and sauté until softened.
- Add beans, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard to the skillet and combine well. Let simmer a minute or so.
- While the beans are simmering, grease a 13×9 baking dish. Dice bacon.
- Pour beans into the prepared dish and place bacon on top.
- Bake 2 to 3 hours, depending on your desired consistency.
- Let the beans sit 5 minutes before serving.