Culture : College Prep : Careers
2021 Virtual CIRI C3 Experience
Online sessions: Monday, Aug. 9 through Wednesday, Aug. 11
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 CIRI C3 Experience will be held virtually. The deadline to register has been extended to 12 p.m. (noon) on Friday, Aug. 6. The event is open to shareholders and confirmed descendants of all ages!
About the Virtual CIRI C3 Experience
Culture, college prep and careers—the CIRI C3 Experience brings together CIRI shareholders and descendants to foster leadership skills and help prepare them for college and their careers. Participants will engage in Alaska Native cultural activities, receive college and higher-education guidance, and explore job and career paths.
The 2021 CIRI C3 Experience will be held virtually Monday, Aug. 9 through Wednesday, Aug. 11. Shareholders and descendants of all ages and from all over the world are invited to attend. Participants may choose from a range of online sessions, allowing for a tailor-made virtual experience. Families are encouraged to attend together.
2021 virtual sessions include:
- Indigenous Place Names Project and Dena’ina History
- Learn about the history of the Dena’ina people, the lands in the CIRI region and work being done to represent traditional culture in modern Anchorage.
- Led by CIRI shareholder Aaron Leggett, senior curator of Alaska history and Indigenous culture at the Anchorage Museum and president/chair of the Native Village of Eklutna.
- CIRI and the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act
- Learn about CIRI’s history, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, and opportunities and services available through CIRI’s socially driven enterprises (formerly known as nonprofits).
- Led by Darla Graham, senior manager, CIRI shareholder programs.
- Cultural Awareness Workshop
- Learn about the primary Alaska Native cultural groups and hear stories from Alaska Native people about the history of Alaska and what life is like in rural Alaska.
- Led by Paul Asicksik, cultural programs manager at the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
- Traditional Healing and Holistic Wellbeing
- Learn how the connection to traditional foods can strengthen overall holistic wellbeing. Includes a salmon-drying demonstration.
- Led by Sasha Tsurnos, a cultural peer with Cook Inlet Tribal Council’s Recovery Services Department.
- Educational Funding Opportunities with The CIRI Foundation
- Learn about scholarships and educational funding available to CIRI shareholders and descendants.
- Led by The CIRI Foundation’s Susan Anderson and Olivia Iwai.
- College Application Tips and UAA Native Student Services Overview
- Get tips for your completing your college application and steps you can take now to prepare for the application process. Learn about the University of Alaska Anchorage and hear from the UAA Native Student Services team.
- Led by Fernando Penate-Chavez, assistant director, UAA student recruitment.
- Transition to College
- Current and former CIRI interns share their experiences and how their internships have impacted their careers.
- Led by Chas Anderson, Rinnah Andrew, Rachel Crosley, KC Elvis (Chickalusion), Dajonee Hale and Braden Kinnebrew.
- Job Search and Interview Tips
- Recruiters from Cook Inlet Tribal Council’s Alaska’s People will share what employers look for in job applicants and how to navigate your job search.
- Career Development and Mentorship/Resume Workshop
- Alaska’s People workforce development coordinators will help you identify your interests and build steps to take to achieve your goals. This session will also include a mini-resume workshop to help ensure your resume is in tip-top shape!
For access to live C3 sessions, simply fill out and submit the online registration form by 12 p.m. AKDT on Friday, Aug. 6, 2021. After you have registered, an email will be sent to you prior to the Monday, Aug. 9 start date with session links and information. If you have questions, contact Darla Graham, senior manager, CIRI shareholder engagement.
Registrants must be either a CIRI shareholder or a confirmed descendant. Unconfirmed descendants will be required to confirm their descendant status with CIRI Shareholder Relations to be considered eligible for the CIRI C3 Experience. Call (907) 263-5191 or (800) 764-2474 for instructions.Register Now