Adapted from the recipe by Jennifer McHenry, www.bakeorbreak.com
As the author wrote about this recipe, “This kind of cake is one of my favorites. It makes no apologies for being all about the chocolate. It’s rich and dense and just plain delicious.”
Start to finish: 40 minutes (15 minutes active)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the ramekins
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting the ramekins (Dutch-processed preferred)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 large egg ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
Optional: whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, berries and/or chocolate shavings (for topping/ garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 5- or 6-ounce ramekins. Dust with cocoa powder and shake out the excess.
- Place chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat at half-power in microwave in 30-second increments until butter has melted and chocolate melts when stirred. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and salt until combined. Add chocolate mixture and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared ramekins.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes are set.
- Serve warm in the ramekins. Delicious by themselves, or top with ice cream, whipped cream or fruit.