Adapted from the recipe by Maya Wilson, alaskafromscratch.com.
As the author wrote about this recipe, “If you don’t live in Alaska, never fear—you can use ground beef in this recipe with great results.”
Start to finish: 1 hour (15 minutes active)
12 ounces evaporated milk
1½ pounds each ground moose and 93% lean ground beef (*see note)
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1½ teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 cups ketchup
½ cup brown sugar
Scant 1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13” x 9” pan.
- Gently mix all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Make walnut-sized balls and place in rows on prepared pan. Depending on the size of your meatballs, you may need a second smaller pan.
- Bake meatballs 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put sauce ingredients in a saucepan, cover and simmer on low, stirring often.
- After 20 minutes, remove meatballs from oven and carefully drain off any grease that may have collected in the pan.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and return to oven, baking another 20-25 minutes until sauce is bubbly and meatballs are cooked through.
Great served over egg noodles, pasta, rice or spaghetti squash.
*You can use 3 pounds ground moose, 3 pounds lean ground beef or any combination in this recipe.