The 2017 CIRI Color of Justice Program, a FREE and FUN, law-related educational program for CIRI shareholders and descendants in grades 9-12.
The program features hands-on learning activities designed to promote awareness about potential careers in law and the judiciary. They include:
- Inspiring talks from members of the judiciary and the Alaska Native legal community.
- “MentorJet” – students meet with practitioners from a wide variety of legal backgrounds to explore career opportunities.
- “You be the Judge” – students team up to discuss real fact patterns in real cases and predict how the court ruled.
- “Mock Trial” — every student is assigned a role in a simulated trial; the students prepare and deliver the prosecution, the defense, serve as judge and jury, all under the supervision of experienced lawyers who serve as team coaches.
Where and when
When applying, students select one of two identical program sessions
- Kenai – Friday, February 10, 2017 at the Kenai Quality Inn. This is an in-service/no school day for the Kenai Peninsula School District.
- Anchorage – Friday, February 24, 2017 at the Fireweed Business Center. This is an in-service/no school day for the Anchorage School District.
Each session will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 5:00 p.m. Students will be responsible for travel to and from the event. Check-in and a continental breakfast will be available starting at 7:30 a.m., lunch and afternoon snacks will be provided. Participants should be picked-up no later than 5:30 p.m.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be a CIRI shareholder or shareholder descendant,
- Be enrolled in grade 9 through 12
- Write a Statement of Interest (max. 500 words) of why you would like to attend and what you hope to gain from the program, and
- Submit an online application by 5 p.m. (AKST), Wednesday, February 1, 2017, including a Release of Liability Agreement signed by the applicant’s parent/guardian.
CIRI staff will select attendees based upon the manner and extent to which the student’s Statement of Interest expresses a desire to learn more about the law and legal profession, and participate actively in the program’s activities.Apply here
For questions regarding the program, please contact CIRI’s Legal Department by calling (907) 274-8638 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.